Desiree Gagner-Tjellesen, P.M.H.C.N.S.-B.C.
P.M.H.N.P. Track Director and Clinical Instructor
Desiree Gagner-Tjellesen, P.M.H.C.N.S.-B.C., started her career as a psychiatric nurse in 1991. She worked in both inpatient and outpatient settings, and continued to develop her passion for psychiatry. Upon graduating with her master’s degree, she become credentialed as a psychiatric-mental health clinical nurse specialist with prescriptive authority, and established her practice at the Northeast Human Service Center.
Gagner-Tjellesen joined UND in fall 2016 as a part-time faculty member, after having already served for a preceptor to numerous UND students. The experience fostered her passion for mentoring others to become advanced practice nurses, in addition to increasing treatment access for those with mental illness.
Currently serving as the interim P.M.H.N.P. program director, Gagner-Tjellesen teaches while maintaining an 80% clinical practice and continuing to provide preceptorship to students. In her spare time, she enjoys camping, traveling and spending time with family and friends.
Gagner-Tjellesen graduated from Moorhead State University in 1988 with an AA degree. She received her bachelor’s in nursing from UND in 1991, and continued on to earn her master’s in nursing from UND in 2000.
- Gagner-Tjellesen, D., Yurkovich, E., & Gragert, M. (2001). Use of Music Therapy and Other ITNIs in Acute Care. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing, 39 (10), 26-37.
Areas of Expertise
- Outpatient adult psychiatric care including psychopharmacology
- Care of individuals with dual disorders (substance use disorder and mental health disorders)
- Preceptorship for APRN students in psychiatric clinical practice
- Guidance of students through professional development to the APRN role
- NURS 588—Management of Psychopathology I (F16, F17, F18, F19)
- NURS 589—Management of Psychopathology II (SP17, SP18, SP19)
- NURS 597—Advanced Clinical Practicum (F16-present)
- NURS 583—Individual Therapy (SU17, SU18)
- NURS 584—Group and Family Therapy (SU17, SU18)
- NURS 583—Psych Diagnostic Reasoning (SP17)
- NURS 997—Independent Study