Katherine Nelson, Ph.D., L.P.
Assistant Professor; Co-Coordinator of K-12 School Counseling Emphasis for the Master’s in Counseling Program
Dr. Katherine Nelson is a licensed psychologist who combines her academic and real-world experience to prepare future counselors for professional success. She earned her doctorate from Western Michigan University.
- Intersectional culturally responsive and social justice-based practices
- Quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Psychological assessment with children, adolescents and adults
- Consultation and supervision
Research and Scholarly Interests
- Culturally responsive and social justice worldview development and outcomes
- School-based mental health and “school counseling” practices and outcomes
- Longitudinal single subject time-series analyses with compound units (e.g., schools or communities)
- Ecological, multisystem and strength-based therapies
- Social justice interventions for individuals, groups and systems
- Interpersonal process and trauma-focused therapies